[Tagging] Edit of wiki page amenity=drinking_water for man_made=water_tap

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 03:46:56 UTC 2015

Here in Thailand there are many vending machines that sell purified, ion
exchanged I believe, water for drinking. Current practice seems to be to
tag them with amenity=drinking_water and leave it at that. What opinions do
you have on that?

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> No. The correct way is
>>
>> man_made=water_tap
>>
>> drinking_water=yes
>>
>> See the wiki.. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/
>> wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tap
>>
>> The addition of amenity=drinking_water may get it rendered .. but that is
>> just tagging for the render.
>>

> no to your "no" and to the term "correct" ;-)
>
> I agree with Mateusz, you can use amenity=drinking_water and
> man_made=water_tap on the same object (if you want you can also add the
> additional tag drinking_water=yes). I don't think your edit to the drinking
> water tag page was necessary, but it also doesn't seem you had introduced
> any inconsistencies.
>
> Please also be aware that the wiki documents the current state of tagging
> (where most publicly usable water taps are tagged as
> amenity=drinking_water).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout