[Tagging] recommend tagging of volcanos as ways rather than nodes

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Apr 8 15:31:48 UTC 2015

On Mar 30, 2015 6:27 AM, "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I suggest to tag volcanos on ways rather than nodes, if possible.
Currently the wiki states that only nodes should be used, and while I agree
that nodes might be a preliminary way of mapping, I think that typically
volcanos are bigger than just a point, and would merit an area to be mapped.

I think we need to disambiguate calderas from peaks.  Mount Saint Helens
has a peak, but it's a high point in the rim of an enormously prominent
caldera.  Conversely, Mount Hood has a prominent peak clearly used as a
landmark (it even appears, as viewed from Portland, on the last Oregon
driver's license I held).  But I don't think I could point out it's caldera
standing on the thing, even considering how much the glaciers have melted
since I was on it last over 15 years ago.