[Tagging] New values for entrance=

Ilpo Järvinen ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi
Thu Apr 9 19:34:21 UTC 2015

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, johnw wrote:

> My guess: I think the better word would be stairwell - an indoor or outdoor
> stairway used for accessing different floors, but not part of the floor
> /building itself. Often times stairwells have access limitations, as opposed
> to a doorway opening inside to a single floor.
>
> This door and it’s stairwell do not directly access anything other than the
> stair itself - like a long stairwell in a parking structure, an apartment
> complex, or other structure that is attached to another structure for means
> of accessing the different floors.   I guess.
>
> But I’m not sure how it would be used when rendering entrances yet.
>
>       On Apr 9, 2015, at 1:45 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>
>       wrote:
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Ilpo Järvinen
> <ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi> wrote:
>       I added entrance=staircase and entrance=home to many
>       entrances I had collected already
>

> What is a "staircase" entrance?
>
> If it's a main entrance that leads to a stair, is it tagged
> differently from a service entrance
> that leads to a stair? What if the front door to a house is up stairs,
> which do I use?

I suppose few pics speak more than thousand words of a non-native such
as me... Some random pics from google image search. Here's what it
typicalle looks from outside:
  http://www.jokakoti.fi/newfs2/kivi/10372d/4_18989745_700x525.jpeg
...The white box (lit) above the door usually indicates addr:unit or both
addr:housenumber and addr:unit.
Some inside shot:
  http://static.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/naapurihairikko11112011MT_503_uu.jpg

What I tried to tell already multiple times is that it's hard to
distinguish "main entrance" from "service entrance", at least around here.
This is a real problem from mapper point of view as he/she doesn't know
which of the =main/service should be picked for a particular entrance.

E.g.: Yesterday I mapped an entrance which is towards parking places for
the building=apartments. I didn't check if there's other entrance to the
same staircase on the other, inner-court/garden side but based on imagery
and common sense it's very likely. Quite often it might be that the
inner-court side is unlocked (at least during day time) whereas the other
side might not be. Honestly I really don't know which of them would be
=main and which =service, such decision seems entirely arbitary to me.
Please also take into account that it's perfectly legal to enter the
shared inner courts in Finland even if you're not a resident of the
building and you'd quite often do that if the door on that side is
unlocked. And BTW, it's very likely also true that you can freely move on
such shared inner courts even if you wouldn't be going to the building
although some courtesy rules beyond what's legal and what not might have
something to say here too whether such short-circuiting would be fine. I
can understand that some other country might have more restrictions on
shared-use "private property" than we have here, which might make things
easier for you wrt. =main/service.

--
 i.