[Tagging] sport=shooting & Shooting Range

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun Apr 12 23:32:05 UTC 2015

> I would tag
> sport=shooting as an area for preference .. that being the physical area where the shooting takes place.
> It should be used with some other tag .. say leisure=pitch? Pity the wiki does not specify it!

Usually we have names for the area where things take place (pitch, track, pool) and the sport (sport=*)

A range is one of those places. Usually there are no mixed ranges (archery and rifles, etc) are separate

So leisure=range + sport=archery for an archery range or sport=shooting for a shooting range.

Paintball is not played on a range. It is played in an area where just players are allowed during play - like a pitch.

>> So shouldn't this rather be used for the type of weapon or a specific shooting sport?
>
> I think shooting=range is not correct .. maybe shooting=gun to signify the type of shooting ... compared to arrow, crossbow, cannon ...

Icons can follow the sport=* tag, as it does for other sports, right?