[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trailhead

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Apr 13 00:38:47 UTC 2015

Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> writes:

> The trailhead proposal is long overdue. They are common around areas I've
> lived in the US. They usually have limited parking, signage, sometimes a
> place to pay, and some even have permanent or portable restrooms. Thanks
> for creating the proposal.

agreed.

> A node for the location of a trailhead make sense. But help me understand
> when a trailhead way or relation would apply. I would suggest explaining it
> on the wiki.

I think the basic issue is that people do not conceptualize "trailhead"
as the literal junction of the trail and the road that it crosses.   The
trailheed is a place with some extent, arguably an area, that covers the
parking area and any other associated amentities, and has specific trail
access points which are the junction of the trails and the
parking/builtup area, even if the trails begin again on the other side
of the car road.  So it's an area with some specific nodes that are on
the way of the area and also on a trail.

> I would also characterize a tailhead as an access point to a trail instead
> of the beginning of a trail.

agreed, and it's not just any place you can get to the trail, but a
place that people are intended to use to start on the trail.

(I am pretty sure Clifford and I agree,, but explaining that in case
there's a US-centric difference in meaning lurking here.)