[Tagging] Highway barrier

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:31:23 UTC 2015

All interesting arguments but if a highway has a barrier, won't all access
be treated as blocked (access=no) by _most_ routing software? I realize one
can accommodate  almost anything with appropriate styles and rules but how
can one know in advance? I guess what I'm saying is, there is a risk that
these ways will become non-routable if I put a barrier tag on them. As long
as you're traveling in the correct direction, you've got nothing to fear
(Where have we heard that before?)

I know this: I will never drive a motorcycle in this city, and especially
not a night. You could end up dead on one of these.

By the way, for those of you wondering; these are permanent devices and are
built into the pavement.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 2:12 PM, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 14, 2015, at 8:04 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'd tend to think this would be an enforcement device and a barrier.
> Though, shark teeth would be something different, tagged with
> highway=give_way where the centerline of the way crosses the pavement
> marking.
>

> Wouldn’t the enforcement be the camera on the road reading your plate
> number?
>
> enforcement is about catching people breaking the existing rules.
>
> barriers about blocking access, so you can’t break the rules. I can ram a
> fence, smash a bollard, or go over tire spikes, but they are physically
> trying to prevent my access, rather than record rule breakers for fines
> later.
>

> Mapping these should be a way of two nodes very close together, shared
> with the highway they are on (before spikes & after spikes nodes).
>
> The direction of the way is the allowed direction of motion.
>
> Javbw

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand