[Tagging] Money transfer amenities

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Wed Apr 15 00:09:05 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 23:37 +0000, Severin Menard wrote:
> Hi,
>

> In Africa,

Which country in Africa specifically? It's a huge continent with many
different countries.

> a frequent amenity in icties and towns focus on money transfer. It can
> be banks abut also specific amenities (called "multi-services" in
> Senegal). THe number of money transfer services is often high, as you
> see on this picture, on the right side of the door (Western Union,
> Moneygram, Orange, Wari, Ria, Money Express, Joni Joni).
>
> There is a proposed tag amenity=money_transfer that is not used a lot
> (162 occurrences) that IMHO perfectly fits.

The problem is that (for example) in the US, it's a very poor fit as
there aren't businesses dedicated to just money transfer. Sometimes they
will be combined with check cashing places (which I think is tagged with
something else under amenity=*), other times your local convenience
store or grocery store will also do money transfers.