[Tagging] Money transfer amenities

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 01:41:22 UTC 2015

On 15/04/2015 10:09 AM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 23:37 +0000, Severin Menard wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> In Africa,
> Which country in Africa specifically? It's a huge continent with many
> different countries.

Example country given later .. keep reading.

>> a frequent amenity in cities and towns focus on money transfer. It can
>> be banks abut also specific amenities (called "multi-services" in
>> Senegal). THe number of money transfer services is often high, as you
>> see on this picture, on the right side of the door (Western Union,
>> Moneygram, Orange, Wari, Ria, Money Express, Joni Joni).
>>
>> There is a proposed tag amenity=money_transfer that is not used a lot
>> (162 occurrences) that IMHO perfectly fits.
> The problem is that (for example) in the US, it's a very poor fit as
> there aren't businesses dedicated to just money transfer. Sometimes they
> will be combined with check cashing places (which I think is tagged with
> something else under amenity=*), other times your local convenience
> store or grocery store will also do money transfers.

Because it is a 'poor fit' in one place does not mean that it cannot be used elsewhere in the world.
OSM is world wide and should allow for regional variations .. like speeds in mph rather than kmh.

Severin  .. I'd simply use the tag. If you want you can add a wiki page on it .. documenting what you have done.