[Tagging] Highway barrier

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 08:33:51 UTC 2015

> Are there any other ways of having oneway:physical? Maybe a lifting
> barrier with a sensor on one side only?

In reality this would only apply to certain vehicles though. A bicycle or a
battle tank, even an armored car might be physically able to travel the
road in the opposite direction (as opposed to other barriers like these:
http://www.panzersperre.com/panzersperre.jpg ). I would prefer describing
the barrier rather than the implications one might see, i.e. I am in favour
of the tag mentioned above: barrier=oneway_spikes (and eventually the
additional "direction" tag or a more literal way of saying which direction
you can (or can't) travel over it, e.g. barrier:conditional=no @
(direction=NW) ).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conditional_restrictions  // please note
that this has another reference for direction in it, which is not the way I
believe we should tag a node (forward/backward).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:direction

Cheers,
Martin