[Tagging] internet_access usage in parks (and other open areas)

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 21:53:00 UTC 2015

We are having a discussion in talk-br about internet_access in parks
and other open areas.

>From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:internet_access and from
what I understand, it's a characteristic of the place/object (so it
should not exist without a building, amenity, tourism, shop, leisure
or other kind of place).
If the park offers wifi, then the park should have a internet_access=wifi

But there are people seeing it different: it should be used at the
spot where the access is offered (where the access point is locate),
since there is no guarantee that people will have wifi signal at every
place of the park.

For me this second view is incomplete, since we won't be able to find
or tell if a shop, park or anything else offers Internet access.
Also, there isn't any statement in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:internet_access that assures
that the place must offer access in all its extension.

What is the current convention (and better way) to use internet_access
for cases like this?