[Tagging] Way inside riverbank

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Apr 20 15:47:55 UTC 2015

The location of the deepest channel can change over time, as mudbanks or sandbanks shift position. This is why commercial vessels operating on rivers frequently rely upon a succession of pilots, each familiar with a particular portion of the river. Unless an OSM mapper has surveyed a portion of the river recently with a depth gauge, they would have to rely on possibly-out-of-date information from some other map.