[Tagging] fire extinguisher class

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Apr 23 21:02:49 UTC 2015

The fire type is most important, but depending on the material used, it can be used on several types -
So +1 for tagging the material first and foremost.

Most common household extinguishers in the US are dry powder ABC extinguishers.

At the bottom of the #united states section is a conversion chart - and they all lead back to what _type of fire_ is trying to be put out:

Regular combustibles
Liquids
Gasses
Electrical
Metals
Fats

So my US ABC extinguisher in my garage would be:

Fire_extinguisher=dry_powder
Fire_extinguisher:regular=yes
Fire_extinguisher:liquids=yes
Fire_extinguisher:gasses=yes
Fire_extinguisher:electrical=yes
Fire_extinguisher:USA_code=ABC
Fire_extinguisher:checked_date:old
Colour=white

Optional for my extinguisher

Fire_extinguisher:cert_until:old
Fire_extinguisher:signed=no
Fire_extinguisher:metals=no
Fire_extinguisher:fats=no
Fire_extinguisher:label=no

My old ABC ones are white, so color doesn't always denote what is inside. Trees are no label color codes in the U.S.  The letter codes change per location, so noting if it is UK or NZ or US is important.

Many fire extinguishers in public places are signed.  In Japan they have cabinets, cases, lockers, little stands with a sign, and ones with a cone hat on top to keep the dust off. They have them everywhere in public buildings, sitting in a corner in a little stand with a little sign on a little pole.

http://ec.midori-anzen.com/img/goods/L/4082101826.jpg

http://media.mediatemple.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/uploader/images/signs/fire-extinguisher-operating-guide/full_nagoya-shopping-mall-fire-extinguisher-operating-guide.jpg

Cataloging the check date could be very useful to some mappers. If it doesn't have a pressure dial and is passed its expiration, it should be marked =old - as it is assumed without inspection the extinguisher is old or expired, and may not be reliable. If it has no pressure gauge and is expired, then it is very important to tag =old/expired - but having used a couple expired ones to put out a fire, I'm glad they were there.

For extinguishers with visible pressure gauges, the person collecting the data is the checker, and therefore the data collection date is the check date, since it can easily be seen on many fire extinguishers if it is correctly pressurized.

Certified extinguishers have a cert tag that will note the date that the extinguisher is certified to. People managing extinguishers might find that really nice to know if they want to collect the data for their uses (like a fire dept or something).

Javbw