[Tagging] RFC - Criteria for taging as either via_ferrata or path

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Fri Apr 24 02:57:06 UTC 2015

On 23.04.2015 11:59, Richard Z. wrote:
> there were ongoing discussions concerning this subject so
> I have ammended the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/via_ferrata#Criteria_for_taging_as_either_via_ferrata_or_path

> "use highway=via_ferrata where people commonly use ferrata kits"

This is an individual decision. I know someone who did all ferratas
(difficulty A-E) in eastern Austria without a ferrata kit. I also saw people
using a ferrata kit on an easy ladder, and on a short wire rope that is
meant as a handrail.

There are ferratas which are more than hundred years old. Nobody used
ferrata kits back then, because they simply did not exist.

> a path is way where a hiker can walk without a ferrata kit and without extensive use of arm muscles

See above. What's an "extensive use"? Experienced climbers will tell you
that they do it all by technique instead of muscle power.

> a path should be safely passable without a ferrata kit even in less than optimal weather

So we need to delete all paths in high mountains, because they are neither
ferratas nor safely passable when icy.