[Tagging] Artist studio?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Apr 25 00:04:56 UTC 2015

a quick look through the shop= tag and the the amenity=studio (for audio) seems there is no good tag for that.

My understanding of studios is that is where an artist creates, exhibits, and possibly sells their art.

there is no documented craft=artist (as in canvas creator), but there is house painter. there is “sculptor" and "glaziery" so it looks as if craft=artist should be created (mentioning that it is not for sclupture/glass/photo based art)

but this only has 11 uses.

There might also be a case to be made for amenity=art_studio - but this also has 7 uses.

The studios I think of are like the ones in “Spanish Village Art Center” - very small rental studios where the artists create, show, and sell their art.

https://goo.gl/maps/9cM4k

Art is often a mixture of commercial (production) and retail (sales), it is tough. to categorize.

craft=artist should be created (in some way).

and then the decision between amenity=art_studio or shop=art_studio should be decided (I’d lean towards amenity).

Javbw