[Tagging] [Talk-GB] Wiki deprecation of an in-use feature

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 20:39:06 UTC 2015

On 25/04/15 21:09, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk
> <mailto:lester at lsces.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Bryce ... you still have to make the case for 'special cases'. There is
>     no reason to have two tags for many of these amenities.
>

> That's not the purpose I started this thread for.
> "waterway=water_point" is in use.
>
> --
> The issue of how to tag non-interoperable features is a valid issue, but
> a much bigger issue. We have mutually incompatible amenities for
> aircraft, boats and land vehicles.   You definitely don't want to put
> aviation gas into a motorcar for example, nor try to empty your
> motorhome at a Canal & River Trust pumpout. There's no commonly agreed
> solution for this real issue.
>
> Until that's resolved, I feel the wiki should reflect /current/ tagging
> practice.  Thus "waterway=water_point" as "in use" on the wiki until
> either a vote happens to remove it, or a new tagging proposal takes hold.

The only reference I am seeing to waterway=water_point is to use
amenity=water_point and I see no problem with that statement. Just as I
see no problem with having a petrol pump on an airfield that can provide
unleaded petrol for a car or a microlight aircraft, and the camp-site on
the site might have a water_point for caravans, and a separate one for
servicing the aircraft. If the water_point is on the tow path and
provided by the Canal & River Trust but also services the camp site do
we end up having it tagged for both, just as you propose for
waterway=sanitary_dump_station + amenity=sanitary_dump_station? WHY do
we have to have duplicate tags?

I may not agree with what is currently being documented for some of
these things, but if THIS proposal is taken to it's logical extent, then
every facility has to have a duplicate waterway tag ... or we simply
agree that there only needs to be one, and the access determines who can
use it! AND then you add another complete set for aircraft? If it's a
water_point on a marina and is private then it's no different to on on a
camp site which is private. Only the right clients are allowed to use it.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL