[Tagging] [Talk-GB] Wiki deprecation of an in-use feature

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 22:52:10 UTC 2015

On 26/04/2015 6:09 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk
> <mailto:lester at lsces.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Bryce ... you still have to make the case for 'special cases'.
>     There is
>     no reason to have two tags for many of these amenities.
>

> That's not the purpose I started this thread for.
> "waterway=water_point" is in use.
>
> --
> The issue of how to tag non-interoperable features is a valid issue,
> but a much bigger issue. We have mutually incompatible amenities for
> aircraft, boats and land vehicles.   You definitely don't want to put
> aviation gas into a motorcar for example,

Errrr.. having used avgas in a motor vehicle for many 100s of km ... it
is fine, provided you don't have a catalytic converter and/or a lamba
sensor. It also deters petrol sniffers.

I'm in the camp of having the same tag for the same thing within OSM.
The 'problem' looks to have come from incorrect wiki definition. So that
is where to start, correctly define it, contact those who have been
contributing to the wiki and check they agree with the 'new definition'
... once agreement is reached then proceed with status changes and map
edits.