[Tagging] Artist studio?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:09:59 UTC 2015

> I hate seeing us get into the distinction between craft and art. Many of
> the struggling artists have their one of a kind work and a production line
> which often doesn't include their name. The one of a kind is in my mind
> art, while the production work is something that is art but not exactly.
> Here, wood is considered a craft, but some work produced is truly art.

I didn't make this remark because I wanted to judge on the quality of the
art or the artist, it's just that the craft tag was invented and is used
for professions that won't consider themselves artists. For me, everybody
who considers himself an artist can be tagged like this in OSM. Have a look
at the most used values of craft:
- carpenter
- shoemaker
- photographer
- electrician
- tailor
- plumber
- brewery (shouldn't that be "brewer"?)
- metal_construction
- gardener
- sawmill

See here: http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/craft#values

there might be some small overlap, but usually a photo artist won't call
himself "photographer" (this is one with slight overlap, I agree), just
like a garden artist will not call himself "gardener" but rather garden
designer or landscape engineer (both are discutable regarding their
"artisticness", but that's not my point here, at least they are not
"gardeners").

I don't exclude that there are also artists that work for instance with the
equipment and material of a plumber or a sawmill, but they won't /
shouldn't (IMHO) be tagged craft=plumber.

Cheers,
Martin