[Tagging] Colour coding of wiki description boxes

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Apr 27 17:26:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

   I'm finding myself in a little edit war with user Xxzme on the wiki
(is there a club?) over my objection to the use of the colour red for
tag description boxes that describe tags with the any of the following
statuses:

discardable
deprecated
obsolete
inactive
abandoned
rejected

I think that is wrong to colour-code the whole box red for "deprecated"
feature, for the usual reason - it only takes a handful of people to
"deprecate" something and this could easily lead to widely used tags
being shown in red, leading people to believe that there is something
wrong about them.

The colour coding was introduced a while ago without any discussion, and
I think it wields too much power to be decided on by one single Wiki
editor. I would therefore like to encourage discussion about colour
coding of tag description boxes, either here or on

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template_talk:DescriptionStatus

and I would recommend to stick to neutral colouring until something
approaching a consensus has been established.

Bye
Frederik