[Tagging] Tagging of pitches within a campsite

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Apr 30 00:51:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> Any reason to avoid a namespace? Seems like tagging things like water
> availability as amenities would show a lot of amenities that are not really
> available to everyone. That is things like the picnic table, fire ring or
> fire place and possible water may be dedicated to the people who are
> occupying the unit/pitch/site.

The namespace tags duplicates what can already be done.  This is perfectly
valid:

*     camp_site=pitch*
*     drinking_water=no*
*     picnic_table=yes*

Indicates the individual pitch has a dedicated table but no dedicated
water.  The current namespace tagging uses:

*     camp_site=pitch*
*     camp_site:water=no*
*     camp_site:table=yes*

Which uses newly invited attributes of "water" and "table".  I think it
better not to reinvent that wheel, and use instead:

*     camp_site=pitch*
*     camp_site:drinking_water=no*
*     camp_site:picnic_table=yes*

Or with a more proper namespace:

*     camp_site=pitch*
*     pitch:drinking_water=no*
*     pitch:picnic_table=yes*

But bear in mind pretty soon you'll hear from additional voices wishing to
consolidate tagging, with the opposite opinion.  drinking_water is drinking
water after all, and pretty soon you'll want *caravan_site:drinking_water*,
*areoway:drinking_water* or *waterway:drinking_water*.

The use of the "*addr*" namespace for the pitch number is for routing, and
due to the slow evolution of osm-carto (which makes anything else unlikely
to be rendered in the near future).