[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:47:11 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 06.08.2015 um 11:24 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>

>> On Aug 6, 2015, at 5:28 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> is it a "highway"? Tags are not always 1:1 representations of (all) the meaning(s) of the words in natural language.
>
> When we have footway, cycleway, bridleway, steps, track, and via_ferrata, again, why is path the odd man out?

this you have to ask the gods of tagging ;-)
seriously, that's where our history of developing tags has brought us, there is no point in asking "why", tags are settings that the community has come up with, it got caught by the mappers and now it is like this. It might not be completely logical but it doesn't look as if there is sufficient support to change it.

cheers

Martin