[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Aug 6 10:33:56 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 6:49 PM, Ruben Maes <ruben.maes96 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ------+------ highway=footway  footway=sidewalk
> ======x====== highway=residential
>       highway=footway
>       footway=crossing
>
> And the x gets highway=crossing of course.

+1

That is how I do it, except I tag the way that crosses as (iD preset) crosswalk from curb to curb, which shares a node with the road. So i don't need a tag on the node too, right?

Sidewalks are so convoluted and make connections to other sidewalks that go between buildings and into parks - but don't connect to the roads (legally or are physically blocked with a hedge) except at crosswalks or roads without sidewalks.

Adding both/left/right is a placeholder until an actual sidewalk can be tagged and crosswalks mapped.

Javbw