[Tagging] Shop= values and a sub key for detail?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 23:46:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

This follows from the shop=model discussion I raised a while ago.

Marczoutendijk diary
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/marczoutendijk/diary/35584

demonstrates the issue that occurs with shop= ...

I think one way to 'solve' this is to have a free text entry sub key for
shops...

say a key of shop_products.

In this way shop= values don't have to carry all the detail leading to
possibly millions of values.
Rather shop= values can be a collective value without the specific
detail, making them easier to distinguish by separate rendering icons.
If detail is required then the free text entry can be interrogated.

Examples
shop=food
shop_products=cheese, bread, fruit, vegetables

shop=scale_model
shop_products=kits, ready made, materials

shop=bicycle
shop_products=new, second hand, service

Thoughts??