[Tagging] Shop= values and a sub key for detail?

Ruben Maes ruben.maes96 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:02:49 UTC 2015

On Friday 14 August 2015 09:46:00 Warin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This follows from the shop=model discussion I raised a while ago.
>

> Marczoutendijk diary
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/marczoutendijk/diary/35584
>
> demonstrates the issue that occurs with shop= ...
>
> I think one way to 'solve' this is to have a free text entry sub key for
> shops...
>
> say a key of shop_products.
>
> In this way shop= values don't have to carry all the detail leading to
> possibly millions of values.
> Rather shop= values can be a collective value without the specific
> detail, making them easier to distinguish by separate rendering icons.
> If detail is required then the free text entry can be interrogated.
>
> Examples
> shop=food
> shop_products=cheese, bread, fruit, vegetables
>
> shop=scale_model
> shop_products=kits, ready made, materials
>

> shop=bicycle
> shop_products=new, second hand, service
>
> Thoughts??

vending comes to mind, it is defined as being for vending machines.

In any case, you should use semi-colons to separate multiple values. And semi-colon separated lists (here we go again) should be avoided (especially in new tagging schemes) in favour of namespaced tags.

I vaguely remember an argument for things like vending:food:bread=yes.

So, in combination with duck tagging, a shop selling mainly fruit and vegs would become something like
shop=grocery
vending:bread=yes
vending:cheese=yes
vending:fruit=yes
vending:vegetables=yes

And the scale model shop
shop=model
vending:scale_model_kits=yes
service:scale_model:repair=yes (following the bicycle scheme)
second_hand=yes (that is an approved tag: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:second_hand)

For bicycle shops, there are already tags to describe this, see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dbicycle.

--

The field "from" of an email is about as reliable as the address written on the back of an envelope.

Use OpenPGP to verify that this message is sent by me. You can find my public key in the public directories, like pool.sks-keyservers.net.