[Tagging] Tagging National Forests

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Aug 17 02:10:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

The new rendering of forests broke cases where a lake is inside a forest
and the lake is not mapped as an inner section of the surrounding forest
polygon.

I posted this issue in the carto issue tracker:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1754

But after some discussion I realized that this may be a side effect of a
different problem, namely how we tag national forests. In the US, these
seem to be tagged as landuse=forest which is only partly true: within a
National Forest, many different land uses can occur, only one of them being
forest.

So should we just not tag National Forests as landuse=forest?

Martijn van Exel
skype: mvexel