[Tagging] Opening hours specification (was: [talk] YoHours: opening_hours viewer and editor)

Ruben Maes ruben.maes96 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 10:36:37 UTC 2015

Friday 21 August 2015 11:48:49, panieravide at riseup.net:

> Hello,
>
> I recently released a new version of YoHours, a website which allows
> everyone to create and view opening hours in the OSM syntax. It now
> supports seasons-dependent hours (month, week, day, holiday selectors).
>
> It's available here:
> http://github.pavie.info/yohours/
>
> The code is available on GitHub:
> https://github.com/PanierAvide/panieravide.github.io/tree/master/yohours
> [1]
>
> If you have any suggestions, let me know :)
>
> Cordially,
>
> PanierAvide.
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://github.com/PanierAvide/panieravide.github.io/tree/master/yohours

I opened an issue[1] on this GitHub project, because it puts a colon after week, month and monthday selectors.
PanierAvide replied that the specification allows an "optional separator for readability"[2]. Indeed, when you read the overly complicated and totally not mapper-focused specification, you can see
[ <year_selector> ] [ <month_or_monthday_selector> ] [ <week_selector> ] [ <separator_for_readability> ]

Whose idea was this? It's already complicated enough that you don't have to add *optional* separators for supposed readability.
IMO it's just fine without them.

PS: I always follow the time domains proposal[3]. It's clear and it's compatible with the other specification AFAIK.

[1] https://github.com/PanierAvide/panieravide.github.io/issues/1
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/specification#separator_for_readability
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Time_domains

--
The field "from" of an email is about as reliable as the address written on the back of an envelope.

Use OpenPGP to verify that this message is sent by me. You can find my public key in the public directories, like pool.sks-keyservers.net.