[Tagging] landuse=religious & Monastic schools

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Aug 22 12:45:01 UTC 2015

Disregard previous blank email. Sent by clumsy thumbs.

> On Aug 22, 2015, at 5:22 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> tourism=theme_park tag, not a landuse.

This was my error - but it would sit on a single tourism=theme park outline.

The monorail that goes around is on pylons over the parking lots and may leave the (Tokyo) Disneyland area and go to Disney Sea  and then around to the hotels, so there is little to no dedicated land (except for the yard) so there would be very little railway landuse. The JR train station nearby (on dedicated right-of-way land) would be on its own landuse, of course.

But this is beyond the point of my conversation - there is a huge singular named place -disneyland - and it has thousands of disparate amenities (if we micromapped every single possible thing) but all are in support of the theme park, sitting on a single named area.

There is no need to separate disneyland from its parking lots, its warehouses, its kitchens, machinery shops, and other support buildings surrounding the customer accessible park - the sign out front says "Disneyland". The parade staging area is just as much a part of the theme park as the castle.

There is also no need to seperate a church, a mall, a city hall, military base, or a school from its parking and support amenities either.

How you would map the area and the amenities on them are all the same. Sometimes the area gets amenity=*, sometimes a landuse=*. But a singularly named location (in a city) is going to sit on a single area in some fashion, unless it is so large it needs a boundary tag.

This consistency is the basis of allowing new mappers to map and keeping consistent data, and therefore happy renderers and data consumers. There should not be 15 different ways to map 15 different locations because one is a mall and one is a church and one is a theme park. Only the tags should be different.

As I understand it.

Javbw