[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Aug 23 18:42:16 UTC 2015

I have a problem understanding these two important keys. They are
defined on Wiki as:

Shop: "Use shop=* to mark the location of a shop and the products that
it sells." + "A place selling retail products or services."

Amenity: "Covering an assortment of community facilities including
toilets, telephones, banks, pharmacies and schools." + "For describing
useful and important facilities for visitors and residents."

Now the problem is I don't know how to recognize one from the other.
Here are my cases to resolve:

1. I suggested changing the banks + ATMs color on default map to brown,
because I thought shop is selling goods and amenity is about services.
But we have hairdresser and beauty salon both under shop=* namespace.

2. I thought that maybe the difference is shop selling services while
amenity is the rest of services - but theaters or cinemas are in general
paid.

3. The interesting case is also car wash vs car repair - they both are
in general selling services (we have car_parts for shops just selling
goods), but one is tagged as amenity and the other is tagged as a shop,
so a standard rendering would be strange a bit:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/1777

What do you think about those cases and where are possible mistakes to
fix - and how should we do it?

down" [A. Cohen]