[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 00:03:42 UTC 2015

On 24/08/2015 4:42 AM, Daniel Koć wrote:
> I have a problem understanding these two important keys. They are
> defined on Wiki as:
>
> Shop: "Use shop=* to mark the location of a shop and the products that
> it sells." + "A place selling retail products or services."
>
> Amenity: "Covering an assortment of community facilities including
> toilets, telephones, banks, pharmacies and schools." + "For describing
> useful and important facilities for visitors and residents."
>
> Now the problem is I don't know how to recognize one from the other.
> Here are my cases to resolve:

The problem comes from shop= coming latter to OSM than amenity.

Thus some "shops" got put in to amenity= as nothing else was available.

And now there is resistance to move them from "amenity=" to "shop="

The solution for me is to move shops that are in "amenity=" to "shop="

This would provide consistency - if it it sells something then it is a
shop (and that is prioritised over the amenity=).