[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Aug 24 22:58:47 UTC 2015

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 9:56 PM, Craig Allan <allan at iafrica.com> wrote:
>
> should be superceded by landuse=shop,
> with one or more subordinate key-value pairs to indicate the type. Like
> 'shop=bookstore'.  Plus if its a public service in some way, it can be
> tagged separately as an amenity with an icon.

Landuse=retail. <- existing
Building=retail.  <- existing
Shop=books

The trick comes with how to define what they sell, which could vary wildly.

So, for example, most Japanese bookstores sell stationary as well.

Many video rental chains in Japan sell books, comics, and stationary. Some have game centers, cafe, adult material, and food.

They usually call themselves media shops. (A value i will create for japan later)

The biggest hurdle for shop=* is to figure out how to define the different things it sells.

The only acceptable answer I can think of, because of the semicolon problem and the vending#=x problem is to basically let people put shop:___=yes/no for all the categories of goods at the shop, at least the outliers.

This solves two major problems:

1) cultural definitions of what a certian shop is (a "bookstore") , and what it includes and doesn't include. So follow your culture's localized definition.

2) so many shops have additional noteworthy things that are sold outside of most people's notions (a video rental shop in my town has a huge section for second hand clothes for some bizarre reason!), or exclude something expected. So they can have annotations added to what the shop sells with as many or as few as the tagger sees fit. This should help the data customers easily allow searches for expected shop types and for goods types based on the shop:___=yes/no model.

Shop=books
Shop:used_clothes=yes
Shop:adult_books=no

Google solves this in a similar way because there is just so many things a shop can be and what it sells.

Javbw