[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:30:33 UTC 2015

On 25/08/2015 8:58 AM, John Willis wrote:

>> On Aug 24, 2015, at 9:56 PM, Craig Allan <allan at iafrica.com> wrote:
>>
>> should be superceded by landuse=shop,
>> with one or more subordinate key-value pairs to indicate the type. Like
>> 'shop=bookstore'.  Plus if its a public service in some way, it can be
>> tagged separately as an amenity with an icon.
> Landuse=retail. <- existing
> Building=retail.  <- existing
> Shop=books
Agree. The landuse and building values exist and don't need modification.
> The trick comes with how to define what they sell, which could vary wildly.
>
> So, for example, most Japanese bookstores sell stationary as well.
>
> Many video rental chains in Japan sell books, comics, and stationary. Some have game centers, cafe, adult material, and food.
>
> They usually call themselves media shops. (A value i will create for japan later)

The shop= wiki encourages people to create new values. This leads to many single use values, at least some of these would be better grouped together.

> The biggest hurdle for shop=* is to figure out how to define the different things it sells.
>
> The only acceptable answer I can think of, because of the semicolon problem and the vending#=x problem is to basically let people put shop:___=yes/no for all the categories of goods at the shop, at least the outliers.
>
> This solves two major problems:
>
> 1) cultural definitions of what a certian shop is (a "bookstore") , and what it includes and doesn't include. So follow your culture's localized definition.
>
> 2) so many shops have additional noteworthy things that are sold outside of most people's notions (a video rental shop in my town has a huge section for second hand clothes for some bizarre reason!), or exclude something expected. So they can have annotations added to what the shop sells with as many or as few as the tagger sees fit. This should help the data customers easily allow searches for expected shop types and for goods types based on the shop:___=yes/no model.
>
> Shop=books
> Shop:used_clothes=yes

umm second_hand would be a tag to use here - exists so second_hand:clothing=yes

> Shop:adult_books=no

I think the vending machine type solution is better ... may be use "sells"  .. thus

shop=motorcycle

sells:motorcycles:Harley_Davidson=yes

second_hand:motorcycles=yes

services:motorcycles:Harley_Davidson=yes

Humm .. the same issue exits with offices too ...
office=travel_agent <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office%3Dtravel_agent>
provides:asian_travel=yes
?
----------------------------

Anyway .. a bit off the topic ..

Back to the topic on the wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shops

has a list of things that, to me, are clearly shops and others that are offices.

The difference between shop and office?

shops sell physical things.

offices provide a service.

So an electrician would be a service = office

A pharmacy sells pills etc ... would be a shop.

There are some contentious ones .. that could go either way depending on what the customer wants.
e.g. bank, carpenter, post_office

As the post office is called an office I suppose it should go as office=post_office:-)
The more I think of a bank the more I think of it is an office.
Carpenter? If I want a repair done .. then it is a service? = office. If I want a new chair then a product? = shop. ?