[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Husainiya

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Aug 25 13:04:28 UTC 2015

Javbw

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 9:12 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 22.08.2015 um 02:37 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>>
>> We already define the religious buildings themselves through building=* and the POW through amenity, and the religion and denomination through their respective tags.
>

> if those religious buildings have defined specific functions these should get a dedicated tag besides the building tag. Building =* is a tag about the building itself, not the use/function of it.

If it is a common enough building name type, like a temple or shrine or church, then add it to the building=* with the others.

>> Landuse=religious generically says "this is land used by a religious facility".
>

> should the vatican museums get the landuse =religious tag? Saint Peter's square? Castel Gandolfo? How can I tell whether an amenity  nearby a POW and owned+operated by the church belongs to the POW, and when does the POW belong to the amenity without them being landuse=religious? Like you wrote, in certain contexts it will be normal to have "holy places" like chapels and shrines associated with other things.

Based on the (small amount) of what i know of the square, and model i have seen (in Japan http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/08/miniature-world-heritage-buildings-at.html?m=1), and my limited understanding that it is the pope's big square in the catholic city-state of the vatican (It's like a giant outdoor church!):

If St peters square isn't landuse=religious, i don't know what is.

But I'm not the local mapper who would be familiar enough with the square.

But any place dedicated to seeing the pope talk to people surrounded by a hundred religious statues on a giant religious building "hugging" all the people in the square seems to be a giant catholic shrine to the pope or the church as an entity itself, IMO.

In capital cities, (proposed) landuse=civic would take up a lot of the land (not through ownership, but dedicated usage), and I imagine that a city-state dedicated to being the HQ of a religion would have a lot of landuse=religious.

But again, I'm no expert. Im not even religious.

Javbw.