[Tagging] waterway=derelict_canal

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Tue Aug 25 17:33:04 UTC 2015

On 24.08.2015 22:49, Chris Hill wrote:
> I think that 'disused=yes' is a dangerous tag and should be avoided.
>
> Suppose someone uses foo=bar + disused=yes. Someone else searches for
> foo=bar, he will find the objects with and without disused=yes.

That's fine, because disused objects are still there, so they need to remain
retrievable. A disused church may still retain its frescos, a disused adit
may still be visited by chiropterologists, a disused track may still be
usable for tractors and hikers, and a disused canal may be used by bathers
or fishermen, or at least it is still a barrier.

disused=yes is an important tag, used on 46K objects. When someone is
searching for a boat passage, he needs to filter out all disused=yes just as
he does with access=no, boat=no, width<width_of_boat, intermittent=yes,
start_date in the future, etc.