[Tagging] waterway=derelict_canal

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Aug 24 20:49:07 UTC 2015

On 24/08/15 18:56, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:
> Hi Mateusz,
>
> It seems this tag is a combination of waterway=canal and disused=yes.
>
> I'm not so in favor of such value (derelict_canal). There are two
> different information in one value.

I think that 'disused=yes' is a dangerous tag and should be avoided.

Suppose someone uses foo=bar + disused=yes. Someone else searches for
foo=bar, he will find the objects with and without disused=yes. If he
doesn't notice he will treat the disused the same as the active objects.
It means every time anyone searches for or selects anything he must also
select not(disused=yes). Using a different style of tag (e.g.
disused:foo=bar) avoids this problem as foo=bar is quite different from
disused:foo=bar.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly