[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

John Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Aug 25 23:17:32 UTC 2015

>From my experience, American English makes much the same distinctions as
what you are describing. You sometimes see a distinction between "rough
carpenters", who install wall studs and the like, which won't end up being
visible to the customer, and "finish carpenters", who install woodwork that
will be visible, and thus need more skill.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

sent from a phone

> Am 25.08.2015 um 10:33 schrieb Ruben Maes <ruben.maes96 at gmail.com>:
>
> Tuesday 25 August 2015 11:30:33, Warin:
>> As the post office is called an office I suppose it should go as
>> office=post_office:-)
>> The more I think of a bank the more I think of it is an office.
>> Carpenter? If I want a repair done .. then it is a service? = office. If I
>> want a new chair then a product? = shop. ?
>
> Or craft=carpenter[1].

or maybe joiner / cabinet maker? There might be subtle differences here, in
Germany the carpenter (Zimmermann) is a profession making mostly structural
wood work (walls, roofs, stairs etc) while cabinet makers are building and
repairing wooden furniture and joiners (Bauschreiner/Bautischler) will make
finishings like claddings (wall/ceiling), handrails, fixed (built in)
furniture, doors and frames (usually not the structural part). There is
some overlap and they might do parts of the other profession/specialization
as well, but you are usually better off with asking someone to do the stuff
they are specialized in (because they have the right tools and workshop and
experience). The Schreiner(de) will have much smaller tolerances and will
usually produce finer finishings while the Zimmermann (de, en:carpenter)
will make more rough work which will either be visible outdoors or will
likely be clad later by someone specialized in finer works.

cheers
Martin