[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 12:45:27 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 25.08.2015 um 10:33 schrieb Ruben Maes <ruben.maes96 at gmail.com>:
> Tuesday 25 August 2015 11:30:33, Warin:
>> As the post office is called an office I suppose it should go as office=post_office:-)
>> The more I think of a bank the more I think of it is an office.
>> Carpenter? If I want a repair done .. then it is a service? = office. If I want a new chair then a product? = shop. ?
> Or craft=carpenter[1].

or maybe joiner / cabinet maker? There might be subtle differences here, in Germany the carpenter (Zimmermann) is a profession making mostly structural wood work (walls, roofs, stairs etc) while cabinet makers are building and repairing wooden furniture and joiners (Bauschreiner/Bautischler) will make finishings like claddings (wall/ceiling), handrails, fixed (built in) furniture, doors and frames (usually not the structural part). There is some overlap and they might do parts of the other profession/specialization as well, but you are usually better off with asking someone to do the stuff they are specialized in (because they have the right tools and workshop and experience). The Schreiner(de) will have much smaller tolerances and will usually produce finer finishings while the Zimmermann (de, en:carpenter) will make more rough work which will either be visible outdoors or will likely be clad later by someone specialized in finer works.


More information about the Tagging mailing list