[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 05:14:13 UTC 2015

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 25.08.2015 um 03:30 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>>
>> e.g. bank, carpenter, post_office As the post office is called an office I suppose it should go as office=post_office :-) The more I think of a bank the more I think of it is an office.
>
> craft=carpenter
> bank and post office are in amenity and no need to move them (for places open to the public). I see the office key as a back office (not open to the public if not by appointment), so office=bank makes perfectly sense, but it is not the same as amenity=bank

Amenity: OSM description: For describing useful and important facilities for visitors and residents.

So;

A supermarket is an important facility for residents and visitors. Therefore it is an amenity.

A convenience store is an important facility for residents and visitors. Therefore it is an amenity.

Do you see where this leads .. ALL shops are amenities!

Office: OSM description: A place of business, similar to shops.

Humm more: A place predominantly selling services. These may range from the obvious services such as accountants and lawyers.

No requirement for an appointment, offices of travel agents, estate agents, insurance ... don't normally require an appointment.

Accountants and Lawyers are also useful and important to visitors and residents from time to time.

So ALL offices are amenities too....

The idea is to organise things - like with like.

So ALL shops should all be together under shops= (even though all shops are in fact amenities too). Same for offices.
This reduces the amenity= values to those that are not offices nor shops.