[Tagging] waterway=derelict_canal

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Aug 26 13:05:50 UTC 2015

On 26/08/2015 13:34, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 26/08/2015 12:51, Dave F. wrote:
>>
>> Sub tags such as disused=yes have always been the way to describe
>> additional attributes of an entity. It's even the syntax used by XML:
>> you collect all 'waterway=canal' items then manipulate that selection
>> set. If programmers "don't notice" then, quite simply, they're not
>> very good at they're job.
>
> I look forward to your modifications to the OSM Carto (and other)
> stylesheets to add handling for "disused=yes" throughout then. :)

Please see my other reply in this thread.

> Your use of "always" above simply isn't borne out by the facts.

Apologies, I overstated my point. Since 2009?

> I personally have "always" tried to tag "former" things in a way
> that's appropriate to their current status, and that _might_ be
> disused=yes (as discussed in the thread above) but it might also be
> "disused:foo=bar", or it might be delete the tag entirely, while
> trying to keep some link to history (see
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/364520111/history for an example).

To repeat my other reply a bit a closed pub is still often recognisable
as a pub even if you can't buy a beer there. With the current UK market
it could stay that way for months before either reopening or converted
to 'affordable' housing, in which case, change the tags.

"disused:foo=bar" how far do you go with that format? If sub tags are
not to be used do we put all data to the primary? It could get very long.

btw shouldn't it be foo=disused:bar?

Ta
Dave F.

---