[Tagging] waterway=derelict_canal

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:34:31 UTC 2015

On 26/08/2015 12:51, Dave F. wrote:

> Sub tags such as disused=yes have always been the way to describe
> additional attributes of an entity. It's even the syntax used by XML:
> you collect all 'waterway=canal' items then manipulate that selection
> set. If programmers "don't notice" then, quite simply, they're not
> very good at they're job.

I look forward to your modifications to the OSM Carto (and other)
stylesheets to add handling for "disused=yes" throughout then. :)

Your use of "always" above simply isn't borne out by the facts.  I
personally have "always" tried to tag "former" things in a way that's
appropriate to their current status, and that _might_ be disused=yes (as
discussed in the thread above) but it might also be "disused:foo=bar",
or it might be delete the tag entirely, while trying to keep some link
to history (see http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/364520111/history for
an example).

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)