[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 23:59:22 UTC 2015

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 28.08.2015 um 00:22 schrieb Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com>:
>>
>> This is not generally true, although it might be where you are. A typical department store here is one or two floors inside, with an outside somewhat like this: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7057/6842722906_1b8e4cc101_z.jpg, or maybe on the fancier end, https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrellinyvr/6988854497/.
>
> I'm sorry for you ;-)
>

>> This is the same as in Ontario, and across much of the US where I have traveled. The only 3+ floor locations that come to mind are some old stores downtown.

There are existing tags to describe the number of floors in a building. If that is the only difference.

I know of one 'department store' building that is now an educational college. The exterior of the building still reflects the origin of being a retail building.

> yes, I had some fear that this was indeed the case in North America, hence my first sentence (referring to areas). I guess I had these old store locations downtown in mind (typical for Europe as well).
>
> Not sure what would be the best description for your typical building types (still, "retail" without any additional information seems very generic), likely "supermarket" and department store aren't ;-)

Nothing wrong with being generic, highway=residential covers a lot of different looking roads around the world.
OSM can use existing sub tags to further describe them if required.