[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:14:21 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 28.08.2015 um 01:59 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
> Nothing wrong with being generic, highway=residential covers a lot of different looking roads around the world.
> OSM can use existing sub tags to further describe them if required.

the more generic we are, the less information we convey. On the other hand it has to be weighed against complexity to use the data, and we might decide differently based on the kind of feature. I believe we can still do a lot to make our data more useful for people who search specific things besides routing on roads for normal cars, bicycles or pedestrians where we are already quite good.

cheers
Martin