[Tagging] Construction

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:00:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:29:58 -0400
Andrew MacKinnon <andrewpmk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to tag roads as being under construction but which
> are not closed to traffic? I was wondering because Eglinton Avenue in
> Toronto is under long term construction for the Eglinton LRT
> (underground light rail) which will not be finished until at least
> 2020 and a suitably designed router ought to be programmed to avoid
> this and use a parallel route like Lawrence Avenue instead. I have
> added the tag construction=yes, but I am not sure if others are using
> this tag for this purpose.

At least some people are using construction=yes as trolltag (with
intended meaning equivalent to [highway=construction; construction=*]).

> which will not be finished until at least 2020

In this situation I would decrease road class of partially closed road
- for example from primary to residential in case where it is open to
  keep it usable for local residents but not intended for transit
  traffic. In so long-term cases it would be OK to tag also new
  maxspeed, lane count etc.