[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:50:36 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 29.08.2015 um 01:05 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> Building=Big_box_retail
> Shop=supermarket
> Name=big stand-alone supermarket
> (Shop could be a big diy store, electronics, etc as a big-box as well)

supermarkets have different requirements than electronics stores, e.g. because they have big refrigeration storage areas (with good insulation). Yes, you could use them for other purposes, but it typically won't be cost efficient.

> Building=retail_warehouse (not a true warehouse nowadays)
> Shop=warehouse (existing?)
> Name=warehouse club (Costco)

isn't "warehouse" a term for a multi storey storage facility typically not intended for the public?

> Building=shopping_center_anchor
> Shop=supermarket
> Name=centre_supermarket
> (Very very common in the US And Japan, I assume elsewhere)
>
> Building=mall_anchor
> Shop=supermarket
> Name=Mall Chain supermarket
> (Could be a department store, a sports store, or other mall anchor)

I thought "anchor stores" are dedicated areas in malls and shopping centers, not buildings on its own (i.e. the tag would be building:part in this case)

> Building=urban_mixed
> Levels=35
> +
> Point:
> Shop=supermarket
> Name=basement_supermarket
> Location=basement (not sure?)

urban mixed is a very common typology, but I would like to store more detail here (which components form the mix). I'd always prefer an area over a point when it comes to big objects, because the polygon size, shape and orientation is an information in itself.

cheers
Martin