[Tagging] Shop vs amenity

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Aug 29 13:33:03 UTC 2015

Javbw

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 9:50 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I thought "anchor stores" are dedicated areas in malls and shopping centers, not buildings on its own (i.e. the tag would be building:part in this case)

Technically, the "anchor" is the large important tenant that takes up a lot of space in a mall - usually with a large, dedicated, and easily mapped building adjoining the actual mall promenade that pulls people into the mall - which used to be a department store (Sears), or a clothing reseller (like Macy's or JC Penny), but nowadays there are still department stores (Target), but also cinemas, and in Japan - plain supermarkets and large bookstores can still "anchor" a mall medium sized mall.

I suggested a seperate building, because in a lot of outdoor malls, the anchors are easily mapped and separate from the smaller shops.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ww0Pz. There are 3 anchors here -  easily mappable and 2 stories tall (the rest of the mall is 1 story)

Apple stores are the exception in the retail world - most are in a small (10x15m) shop location in a mall - but drive as much foot traffic as an anchor and earn more money per sq meter than any other retail shop on Earth - but the notion of an "anchor" with their name on the side of a huge building at the end of a mall is still really common.

I guess for a lot of places it would be building:part.

Javbw.