[Tagging] Proposed mechanical edit: surface=soil to surface=dirt

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:00:12 UTC 2015

See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dsoil_to_surface%3Ddirt

I plan to change surface=soil to surface=dirt. surface=soil is a clear
duplicate of surface=dirt. It is also less popular and undocumented on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface . surface=soil usage is
slowly increasing and recently passed threshold of 400 entries
worldwide. It would be a good idea to retag it to already documented
tag before this duplicate gets more popular.

amount of surface=soil in OSM as of 2015-08-31 is 402.

amount of surface=dirt in OSM as of 2015-08-31 is 435 752.

I'd download all surface=soil using Overpass API and change the tagging
by search and replace using Level0 editor. The upload of the changed
data I'd do in chunks to check the data once more before upload and not
to create a worldwide changeset.

This would be a one time edit.

Edits will be made from account "Mateusz Konieczny: bot account"

Example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/308139911
state before mechanical edit:

    bicycle=yes
    highway=path
    horse=permissive
    mtb:scale=1
    name=Katahdin Woods Trail
    surface=soil

state after mechanical edit:

    bicycle=yes
    highway=path
    horse=permissive
    mtb:scale=1
    name=Katahdin Woods Trail
    surface=dirt

Changeset comment would be " changing surface=soil to surface=dirt as
surface=soil is less popular duplicate. This mechanical edit is
documented at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dsoil_to_surface%3Ddirt
"

contact: message via OSM:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/message/new/Mateusz%20Konieczny (I will
respond also to PMs to the bot account)

Announcements
* as diary entry (planned)
* mailing list OSM-talk and OSM-tagging (this email)
* OSM wiki -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny/surface%3Dsoil_to_surface%3Ddirt