[Tagging] Buildings mixing residential and commercial use

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Aug 31 21:46:44 UTC 2015

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 10:44 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 3 storey buildings are normally quite different to 25 storey buildings for various reasons (e.g. safety regulations, usage intensity, ...)

Is there some easily understood dividing line between a "building" and a "high-rise building" in OSM or the real world?

Most 3-5 story buildings are steel framed here. As are the 25 story ones.  The 7 story apartments have a few street level shops, just as the 25 story ones.

"Usage intensity" is a new phrase. The area downtown (in my town) seems to be full of students going to the schools in the morning, whereas the apartment buildings/shops don't add to the traffic so much, even the 10+ones. People trickle out 1 or 2 at a time every so often.

The shops tagged onto the building would have more impact on usage intensity - the convenience stores by far have the most foot and car traffic for a single building, and they are smaller than a house when stand-alone.

There are endless possibilities, shapes, and sizes of buildings for mixed_use_multi.

Most in Japan would be 3-5 story buildings, while in Tokyo there would be few thousand 10-25 stories. Anything over 10 is rare outside of the few big cities. There is a single apartment building that is 12 stories in my town.

We already have levels - and we are trying to describe a building that is a mix - so what do you propose? A "high-rise" tag or something? Something to imply A larger building with more structure and regulation?

Mixed_multi_highrise
Mixed_multi
Mixed_house

Javbw