[Tagging] How to tag the inner part of a roundabout?

Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 08:31:27 UTC 2015

I found many places where mappers tried to map the island in the

roundabout, e.g. :

1) highway=island or highway=traffic_island

2) traffic_calming=island

3) landuse=traffic_island

1) I'd prefer not to use highway=*  for ways which do not describe a means of transportation.

2) The wiki for traffic_calming=island describes the use as a node on (or as a part of )a highway=*,

both will not work here

3) At a first glance landuse=traffic_island looks best to me, but the wiki

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Traffic_island

says that this tag should be used for islands which help pedestrians/cyclists to cross

the roads, I think this is typically not true for a roundabout.

The wiki for junction=roundabout doesn't say a word about how to map the island:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:junction%3Droundabout

Any better ideas?

Gerd