[Tagging] How to tag the inner part of a roundabout?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 08:54:33 UTC 2015

> I found many places where mappers tried to map the island in the
>
> roundabout, e.g. :
>
> 1) highway=island or highway=traffic_island
>
> 2) traffic_calming=island
>
> 3) landuse=traffic_island
>

> 1) I'd prefer not to use highway=*  for ways which do not describe a means
> of transportation.
>
> 2) The wiki for traffic_calming=island describes the use as a node on (or
> as a part of )a highway=*,
>
> both will not work here
>
> 3) At a first glance landuse=traffic_island looks best to me, but the wiki
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Traffic_island
>
> says that this tag should be used for islands which help
> pedestrians/cyclists to cross
>
> the roads, I think this is typically not true for a roundabout.

+1, you could use the traffic_island tag in this context if the roundabout
can be walked on (i.e. there are explicit footway crossings transversing
the island).
traffic_calming=island doesn't seem a good fit, if I'd use any traffic
calming tags here, the value would be roundabout (but doesn't seem to add
information other than a judgement on the scope).

> The wiki for junction=roundabout doesn't say a word about how to map the
> island:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:junction%3Droundabout
>
> Any better ideas?

I'd map the island as what it is (i.e. surface, landcover, kerb, flowers,
grass, artwork, etc.). No need to say this is the center of a roundabout,
because that's already in the data.

Cheers,
Martin