[Tagging] Swimming pools

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 15 23:13:48 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-15 22:41, Matthijs Melissen wrote:

> In addition, it seems that the swimming pool tags are used for two
> different things: the pool itself, and the entire building/area
> (including showers, cafe, etc.).
>
> Would it be useful and possible to resolve this ambiguity? We
> currently have leisure=water_park, but it seems to more focussed on
> recreational swimming with water slides etc. Does it make sense to use
> leisure=water_park for indoor swimming pools that are focussed on
> swimming lessons or speed swimming as well? If not, should we use
> another tag for such facilities? Any other suggestions to resolve the
> ambiguity?

There's also the question of sports centres, which may include a
swimming pool, along with facilities for other sports, ie sports hall,
gym/fitness centre, climbing wall etc.
If the swimming pool is in a separate part of the building, and has its
own name etc, then it makes sense to map it separately. But what if it
is mixed in with other facilities, and shares the same changing rooms?
Or a swimming pool within a hotel, or a school?