[Tagging] Swimming pools

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 01:07:17 UTC 2015

On 16/12/2015 10:13 AM, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 2015-12-15 22:41, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
>
>> In addition, it seems that the swimming pool tags are used for two
>> different things: the pool itself, and the entire building/area
>> (including showers, cafe, etc.).
>>
>> Would it be useful and possible to resolve this ambiguity? We
>> currently have leisure=water_park, but it seems to more focussed on
>> recreational swimming with water slides etc. Does it make sense to use
>> leisure=water_park for indoor swimming pools that are focussed on
>> swimming lessons or speed swimming as well? If not, should we use
>> another tag for such facilities? Any other suggestions to resolve the
>> ambiguity?
>
> There's also the question of sports centres, which may include a
> swimming pool, along with facilities for other sports, ie sports hall,
> gym/fitness centre, climbing wall etc.
> If the swimming pool is in a separate part of the building, and has
> its own name etc, then it makes sense to map it separately. But what
> if it is mixed in with other facilities, and shares the same changing
> rooms?
> Or a swimming pool within a hotel, or a school?

the tag sport=swimming should be used to indicate what sports a 'sports
centre' supports. Or that a swimming_pool can be used for 'sports'.
The tag value swimming_pool does not indicatethat the sport swimming
takes place there .. it may only be a leisure activity rather then
competitive.

As only the swimming pool should be tagged with swimming_pool... not any
changing rooms, showers, toilets .. that may be present and shared with
other things. These should have their own tags.