[Tagging] Swimming pools

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Dec 18 00:23:18 UTC 2015

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
> Isn't the term public_bath somewhat outdated?

Google search 温泉 in Japan

https://www.google.com/maps/search/温泉/@36.3099717,138.9777321,11z <https://www.google.com/maps/search/%E6%B8%A9%E6%B3%89/@36.3099717,138.9777321,11z>

several thousand red dots will show up.

an onsen is subkey value of public bath, documented on the wiki.

some onsen are amenities in a hotel, spa, or mountain inn, but most are stand alone facilities.

this is one of the most common and universal things for friends and family to do after an activity (shopping, vacation, hiking, etc) in Japan.

Go to a amusement park with the family? go to the onsen after.

Going hiking in the monuntains? go to an onsen when done.

Office lunch party? go wine tasting then go go to an onsen in the afternoon.

Yes, this means bathing with classmates, coworkers, and family members (almost always gender separated) in a public place.

In the US, “public baths” and very rare, and I don’t think I have ever been to one.

in Japan, they are part of every day culture.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=onsen&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvxtPckOTJAhVjKaYKHdaFBf8QsAQIRQ&biw=1311&bih=834#imgrc=_ <https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=onsen&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvxtPckOTJAhVjKaYKHdaFBf8QsAQIRQ&biw=1311&bih=834#imgrc=_>

Javbw